Slow Cooker Pulled Pork - Spicy Carolina Style
May 29, 2018
This flavorful and satisfying slow cooker pulled pork recipe is sure to please the entire family. Simple ingredients combined in the crock pot will be ready and waiting for you when you get home from a long day. This spicy pulled pork will pair well with our full-bodied and easy going Mountain Selection Syrah.
- 3 tbsps brown sugar
- 2 tbsps paprika
- 2 tsps sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 5 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tbsps Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsps crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsps sugar
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- Combine the brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper, and rub the mixture over the roast. wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate a few hours, overnight is best.
- In a bowl, combine the vinegar, worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. mix well.
- Place the quartered onions in the bottom of the crock pot. unwrap the roast, and place on top of onions. drizzle most of the vinegar mix over the roast, reserving some to add to the shredded meat at the end.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove the meat and onions to a cutting board. remove skin and set aside. using two forks (or your fingers, if you have asbestos hands), pull and shred the pork. chop the onions, and mix into the shredded meat. using a fork, remove some of the fat from under the skin, mince, and add to the shredded meat and onions as needed for moisture and flavor.
- Serve on warm buns or crusty hard rolls, with the remaining vinegar mixture on the side.