Apple Caramel Cheesecake Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. of sugar, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup hot caramel ice cream topping
Note: ingredients 11-15 are for the streusel
1) Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a well-greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.
2) Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Spread over crust.
3) In a small bowl, toss apples with cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining sugar; spoon over cream cheese layer. In another bowl, mix flour, brown sugar and oats; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apple layer.
4) Bake 25-30 minutes or until filling is set. Drizzle with caramel topping; cool in pan on a wire rack 1 hour. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Cut into bars.
Use a melon baller to easily remove small bits of seed or core in your apples.
Real vanilla extract can be pretty pricey, but the flavor is worth it. You can usually find it labeled as Madagascar, Tahitian or Mexican (though sometimes just as extract) at the store.
Hungry for more? These sheet pan desserts will feed a crowd.
1 bar: 191 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.