White Chicken Chili
October 1, 2019
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cans of chicken broth
- 1 can of chopped green chiles
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 2 tsps dired oregano
- 1 1/2 tsps cayenne pepper
- 3 cans great northern beans, drained, divided
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 sliced jalapeno pepper, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook chicken and onion in oil until lightly browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, chiles, cumin, oregano and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. With a potato masher, mash one can of beans until smooth. Add to saucepan. Add remaining beans to saucepan. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Top each serving with cheese and, if desired, jalapeno pepper.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth or water if necessary.