Port Wine Cheese Truffles
- 8 ozs bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsps sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup Pine River Port Wine Cold Pack cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup (6 ounces) dark or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp shortening
Decorations: melted white chocolate, chopped crystalized ginger, finely chopped pistachios, red sugar sprinkles and sanding sugar, optional
Melt chocolate in a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, stirring frequently until smooth. Remove from the heat. Keep chocolate warm over water.
Meanwhile, whisk sweetened condensed milk and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Add butter mixture to chocolate; stir until blended. Stir in port wine cheese until smooth, placing mixture over simmering water if necessary. Cool slightly.
Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight until firm.
1. Shape chocolate mixture into 1-inch balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. (If mixture is stiff, let stand at room temperature until slightly softened.)
2. Place confectioners’ sugar and cocoa into separate bowls. Roll half of the truffles in confectioners’ sugar and cocoa. Return to prepared pans.
3. Melt dark chocolate and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl on high in 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Dip the remaining truffles in chocolate mixture; let any excess chocolate drip off. Return to prepared pans.
4. Decorate with white chocolate, crystalized ginger, pistachios, red sugar and sanding sugar if desired. Let stand until set.
5. Store truffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Let stand before serving to soften.