Baked Macaroni with Mortadella and Mozzarella
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pinch of crushed red pepper
- kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 12 ozs elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsps finely chopped basil
- 2 tbsps finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 lb mortadella, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup grated Parmesan-Reggiano
1) In a large saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the ground pork and cook, breaking up the meat, until browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook until evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, crushed red pepper and a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until thickened, about 1 hour.
2) Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cover the eggs with water and bring to a boil. Cook over moderately high heat for 8 minutes. Drain the eggs and cool under running water, then peel and finely chop.
3) Preheat the oven to 425. In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the macaroni until al dente; drain well and stir into the sauce with the basil, parsley, chopped eggs, mortadella, three-fourths of the mozzarella and 3/4 cup of the Parmigiano-Reggiano.
4) Transfer the macaroni mixture to a 3-quart ceramic baking dish and scatter the remaining mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano on top. Bake for 25 minutes, until hot. Let stand 5 minutes before serving