A recipe perfect for the holidays! Share this meal with friends and family, along with our Vineyard 1869 Zinfandel.
1/2 cup crème fraîche
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup prepared horseradish
1 cup, plus 1 tsp. Dijon mustard, divided
4 medium onions, cut into 3/4-inch wedges with some core attached
5 very large shallots (about 1 pound), quartered through root end
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. coarse kosher salt plus additional (for sprinkling)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 9 1/2 lb. bone-in standing prime rib roast, trimmed
2 tbsp. yellow mustard seeds
1/4 cup brandy
2 cups low-sodim beef broth
Chopped fresh Italian parsley
1) Using an electric mixer, beat crème fraîche and heavy whipping cream in a medium bowl to firm peaks. Fold in horseradish and 1/3 cup Dijon mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill. Do Ahead: Can be made 8 hours ahead. Keep chilled. Rewhisk before serving.
2) Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss onions, shallots, vinegar, oil and 1 1/2 tsp. coarse salt in a large bowl. Sprinkle roast lightly with coarse salt and generously with pepper. Stir 2/3 cup Dijon mustard and garlic in small bowl; rub over roast. Place roast, bone side down, in a roasting pan. Sprinkle mustard seeds over, pressing to adhere. Roast 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
3) Arrange onion mixture around roast. Return to oven; roast until instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 120°F, stirring onion mixture occasionally, about 2 1/4 hours for medium rare.
4) Transfer roast to work surface. Tent with foil; let rest 30 minutes. If necessary, increase oven temperature to 450°F and return onion mixture to roasting pan and roast until deep brown and very tender, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer onion mixture to medium bowl.
5) Place roasting pan over 2 burners on medium-high heat. Add brandy; stir for 30 seconds. Whisk in broth and remaining 1 tsp. Dijon mustard. Boil until reduced to about 1 1/4 cup jus, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Season jus with salt and pepper.
6) Slice roast, arrange on platter. Spoon onions around the roast. Sprinkle parsley over and serve Dijon crème fraîche and jus alongside.