These mouthwatering burgers match up nicely with our Mountain Selection Syrah
2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground peppercorn
16 slices of peppered bacon
2-3 pounds ground buffalo (form into 8 patties)
8 ounces smoked gouda, sliced
8 brioche burger buns, split
Spring Mix lettuce as desired
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and mayonnaise. Gradually add in the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil, whisk well0 and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the onions with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and roast until softened, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, form the ground buffalo into 8 patties and season with salt and ground pepper and brush lightly with olive oil. Preheat the grill or bbq to 250°.
- In a large skillet or on a griddle, cook the bacon over moderately high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels and break each strip in half.
- Grill the patties for 5-6 minutes on each side over medium-high heat, or until well-browned on the bottom. Flip the burgers and grill for another 4-5 minutes or until done to desired liking. Turn off heat and place a slice of smoked gouda on each burger. Close the grill and to let the cheese melt.
- Lightly butter each side of the split buns, and just as the grill is cooling down, place them on the grill split side down, and toast while the cheese melts.
- Spread the lemon mayonnaise on the cut sides of the buns, set the burgers on the bottom and top with bacon, onions and lettuce. Serve right away.
Recipe by Monica Bennion