#12 – SHARE WHAT YOU LOVE
The only thing better than enjoying wine is sharing wine with family and friends. A wine tasting party is a creative way to gather family and friends together to learn about wine and to experiment with new or unusual varieties. Whether you are pairing wines with cheese, doing a vertical or horizontal tasting, or setting up a blind tasting, the first tip to hosting a wine party is to keep it fun! Here are a few other tips for hosting a great wine tasting party:
- Choose the type of tasting you want to host. This could be based on price point, single varieties, new and/or unusual varieties, Old World vs. New World or the ever popular blind tasting.
- Determine your guest list and send out invitations at least two weeks in advance. Online invitations, such as those from evite.com, are fun and quite popular.
- Prepare tasting or score cards for guests to keep notes. Download our sample Tasting Sheet.
- During the tasting, you will want to provide:
- a glass for each person
- dump buckets
- bread or crackers for cleansing the palate
- water pitchers for rinsing and palate cleansing
- tasting cards, pens and additional paper
Most important, encourage honesty and humor. Keep the party fun and enjoy sharing and learning about new wines.